Uniform Tax Rebate

Having employees wear uniforms is a matter of branding. Say if an employee wears their uniform whilst waiting for a bus, they are promoting your brand to anyone who walks past — and at the same time, showing the public the standards that your company sets for your employees. Uniforms can be a good way to demonstrate your company’s image.

When wearing a uniform regardless of the service or organization you belong to you should have the utmost respect for it Those who are going through a training period to earn the right to wear an official logo or uniform should always go above and beyond the call of duty to keep it properly cleaned, pressed, and presentable. With the idea kept in mind that not only are they not yet capable of wearing something with such high honors or prestige, but that a uniform that is dirty, wrinkled, or anything else simply proves to those who are training these individuals that not only do you not care about the valor of the uniform. But you also do not care about those who have come before you and risked and given their lives daily in that uniform.

If you work at a job where you are required to wear a uniform as part of their duties and that meet the cost of laundering their uniform, are entitled to claim tax relief in respect of laundry costs. The relief is calculated by means of a flat-rate deduction and the amount depends upon the employee’s occupation. A dental nurse is entitled to claim a deduction of £100 per year and receptionists and other uniformed staff are entitled to claim £60 per year. This equates to tax relief of £20 and £12 respectively for a basic-rate taxpayer.

You may be entitled to claim a tax rebate in relation to your work uniform. There are applicable tax credits for work uniform expenses however these only apply in certain instances:

  • You supply and launder your own uniform
  • You supply your own uniform but it is laundered for free
  • You are required to launder a uniform that is supplied for you
  • If you have to buy your own shoes and clothes for work. If your employer has not given you an allowance for such purchases, and this uniform is only used for work, you can claim for a tax refund.

Clothing and footwear that you wear to protect yourself from the risk of illness or injury posed by your job or the environment in which you do your job. To be considered protective, the items must provide a sufficient degree of protection against that risk, and might include:

  • fire-resistant and sun-protection clothing (including sunglasses)
  • hi-vis vests
  • non-slip nurse’s shoes
  • rubber boots for concreters
  • steel-capped boots, gloves, overalls, and heavy-duty shirts and trousers
  • Overalls, smocks and aprons you wear to avoid damage or soiling to your ordinary clothes whilst at work.

How to claim: 

If you are claiming for the first time you ‘ll have to go online the HMRC website and fill in the P87 form, after that you will have to options either submitting it online or sending it by mail to Pay As You Earn, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS. If you are submitting for previous year you will have to submit a form for each year.

The details that you need to fill in are:

  • Employer’s name and address
  • Your occupation, job title and industry sector
  • Your details, including your National Insurance Number and your PAYE reference
  • Whether you’re claiming flat rate expenses (usually you will be; if not, you’ll need detailed records of costs). See flat-rate expenses allowed for different occupations.
  • How you want to be paid – into your bank account or by cheque

After HMRC receives the form it will do one of the following:

  • Contact you for more information
  • Give you a refund either by cheque (also known as a ‘payable order’) or directly to your bank account
  • Send your refund to your nominee by cheque or directly to their bank account (if you’ve nominated someone else to get the money)
  • Tell you that you’re not due a refund, and why
  • If you don’t have a bank account you can nominate someone else to receive the money or cheque.

If you claimed before then all you’ll have to do is to call them and notify that you have overpaid tax. Call 0300 200 3300 – the phone line is open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 4pm on Saturday.

HMRC sends you a P810 ‘Tax Review’ form – to check your tax code is correct – you can also fill this in to claim tax relief. For expenses over £1,000, or if you changed jobs midway through a tax year, you’ll need to fill out additional forms.